Sunday, May 10, 2009

Strange Things are Afoot

Pig flu struck our district last weekend, so the kids had a couple days of school off. Luckily the CDC realized (finally) that it wasn't as bad as they thought, so it was back to school on Wednesday. We had taken the previous Friday off for the beach trip so the kids had a pretty extended break. It would have been nicer on Monday and Tuesday if it hadn't been raining cats and dogs.

Loofa came up with this outfit first:


Brother B liked it so much he needed a picture too:


Wednesday night we had an enrichment activity for church. I had arranged teachers for crocheting, knitting, and bracelet making. Plus I had a quilt all setup and ready tie. As a reward for all that work, one person showed up! Turned out a whole bunch of student families from the ward had gone camping that day and a bunch of others people are in the middle of sports season. All the more poppyseed bread for me (and my thighs). I really enjoyed learning how to make bracelets. I made matching ones for Fefe and Ephant to go with their easter dresses, plus, later I made a necklace for Ephant out of the same beads. It is so easy! I'm not a huge fan of wearing jewelry myself, but I don't mind accessorizing my girls. Everyone has to live throught their children, right?


On Friday I mowed the lawn on the shortest setting in preparation for dethatching. I've read about doing that forever, but hadn't taken the steps to actually do it all these years. I figured our lawn is pretty small so it shouldn't be too hard to do it manually. My back keeps telling me how wrong I was. Luckily J rescued me and did half of it when he got home from work. He is much stronger than me... Our grass looks pretty terrible right now from the scalping and dethatching, but supposedly this will really rejuvenate it so I'm looking forward to a beautiful green lawn in a few weeks.

J helped with the youth yardsale on Saturday. The good news is it was a beautiful day, the bad news is that J looks pretty red right now. We all got quite a bit of sun, sadly it is mostly farmer tans so when we go to CA in a couple weeks we'll look very classy :)

4 comments:

Maren Hansen said...

Love the faceless outlaw look. Man, I love your curtains.

Kim-the-girl said...

One person?! Man that stinks! Fun that you like making the bracelets, though. :) I'm wondering if those boys are wearing the same shoes, they practically look like they fit Brother B. Is he just growing up that much?

Jocelyn said...

What is dethatching?

JandS Morgan said...

Your lawn builds up a layer of dead grass at the base over time. It becomes a problem when it is thick enough to prevent fertilizer from getting down to the roots and chokes the grass.