Sunday, May 31, 2009

I Need to Know Who to Blame - aka Day 5

Saturday morning was another early one. We loaded the van up at 6am and headed off to Utah. It was supposed to be a 10 hour drive. J started off driving so I could have a nice nap. Right before Vegas I took over. While driving downhill close to Mesquite I heard this clunk. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw what looked like pieces of paper flying behind me. It didn't take more than a split second to realize our car topper had blown open. I pulled to the side super fast. J and I put our lives at risk to grab what we could. Luckily not much had fallen out and most of it was on the side of the road. The main casualty was our big box fan, easily replaced. The papers were actually family photos I was bringing home after scanning them last year. I think we managed to get most of them, but thank heavens they are scanned in. I'll have to say though, I am pretty dang ticked about this happening. I have been carefully each and every time I load it to lock each side. The dang thing is only two weeks old. We are really blessed that nothing worse happened. The fan could have flown into someone's car and caused a bad accident. Oh, it also dented the top of my van.

Once we rescued everything from the side of the road, we pulled everything out of the car topper and stuffed it in the car. I was able to latch it back together and we headed off to St. George to see J's sister. It was really nice to see their little girl and their house. They seem really happy and L is so adorable. Her hair really reminds of Loofa's when he was a baby. Electrostatic hair.

After getting gas in St. George we started to head to the freeway. Then another car started honking at us. The driver rolled down his window and told us we had a flat. What the heck! So we went to the same place in St. George we went to 2 years ago to get another tire repaired. I swear we have the worst luck with flat tires. At least we hadn't gotten too far so the tire was still repairable. Replacing tires on an Odyssey is not an easy proposition because it is not a common tire. The tire shop was pretty fast and they did it for free. The kids even got a couple helium balloons out of it. Fefe was pretty exhausted, but she survived till we could get going again. The rest of our journey was pretty uneventful and we made it to Sandy not too far behind our planned arrival.

After all the excitement I decided we needed a break. Once we got the kids to bed we headed off to see Terminator. I'm so glad they still used the original music and terminator type noises. It made it so much freakier. I thought it was pretty good. I can't say I was blown away though. I think T2 is still my favorite.

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

wow. you do have bad luck. we thought of you when and your tires we bought our new odyssey. let me know what type car topper you got so i can avoid it when we buy ours.

Maren Hansen said...

Terminator rocks. Much as T3 was fine, T2 is still the most awesome. I'll reserve judgment (pun intended) on T4 till I see it, but... I think you should sue Ody for all your problems, including your kids... ;)

Jocelyn said...

Terminator was awesome. Did you get the topper replaced by the company?