Saturday, November 21, 2009

Yet Another Hospital Trip

Just when we were about to put Fefe to bed tonight, she decided it would fun to slam her forehead into the edge of a wall and split it open. It reminded me of my brother's forehead after his friend threw a rock at him. She was pretty upset at first, but once we got a band-aid on her and gave her her blankie, she cheered up. J was certain from the beginning that she would need stitches, but I wanted to get confirmation on it so I called my friends hubby that is a PA for advice. I really hate going to the ER and finding out it was a waste of my time and money. He said that it would heal on its own, but if we didn't want her to have a scar it was better to get it stitched. So off we went to the ER while J and the other kids finished watching Star Trek.

On the order of things, it was a fast trip. We got taken back quickly and sat there for about an hour waiting for them to get it all ready. I played Fefe some videos on my iphone to entertain her. While she was watching a Diego video, she started singing along loudly. Everyone thought it was cute. She was happy right up until the actual procedure. They gave her a cute little beanie baby penguin, which she definitely appreciated.

To do the procedure they strapped her whole body onto this board and the nurse held her head still. First the doctor had to numb her wound. That was the most painful part because it required multiple injections. She was pretty dang upset. The numbing was in effect within a few seconds and then the doc put in 3 stitches. It was actually pretty cool how well it pulled the skin together. Once I unstrapped Fefe, she perked up fast. She's upstairs singing to herself right now even though it is 3 hours past her bedtime. She must have had some heavy duty adrenaline going through her system.


5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I would probably be getting pretty tired of the ER too with your family's history. Poor Fefe, looks like it's good you get it stitched!

IandS said...

OH no, poor Fefe!!!!!!
I almost cried reading your post - for you for having to go to the ER (why do kids get hurt/sick at night???) and for Fefe for having to be strapped down for her stitches. It makes sense but sounds so traumatic :(

Kim-the-girl said...

I'm surprised they didn't use the glue, the doctor here told us they use it all the time unless it needs to move or is too close to the eye. Poor Fefe! That looks bad!

Maren Hansen said...

Oh, poor little Fefe! I can tell that's a multiple layer gash. Gotta love those. Hope she's feeling better and doesn't pick it--that's what grossed me out w/my kids is how they would pick it when it was almost healed, thereby negating the fact that they weren't supposed to get scars (w/stitches)...

Tim and Angie said...

Poor Fefe. She's cute even with a big, bloody, gash. I hope Fefe is all better. Most of our hospitals use crazy glue now instead of stitches. Tim is anticipating our kid's first gash so he can try it out. I'm not sure how I feel about it.