Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Skybox Update

I was pretty nervous to call Yakima on Monday. At first they tried to pass the buck. I had the warranty in front of me though so I didn't let go easily. It did turn out that the Skybox doesn't do well on Odyssey factory cross bars. They said that Joe's has been letting customer service go completely in the midst of their bankruptcy sale and they were supposed to tell me that I needed to use Yakima cross bars. So, then they said that because of this it was not their fault, but they would be happy to ship a free set of yakima racks. I said, well, I'm still left without a cargo box and I'm certainly not about to buy another. He relented at that point and asked what he could do to make me happy. I first asked for just my money back. He said that was impossible. I then asked for a straight across swap. He agreed to that as long as I bought Yakima cross bars. I said, of course, I'm not about to go through this again. He ended up calling around to dealers in Salt Lake and we were able to swap it out today. I'm pretty relieved. I loved having it.

It is annoying that they don't work with factory cross bars. The reason is because the bars are bowed, which can in turn bow the box open enough to let wind in. Since then I've been checking other car's cross bars and they all seem to bow. How a company cannot design their boxes to work with bowed cross bars, I do not understand.

3 comments:

Maren Hansen said...

I take no responsibility...I did point you towards a far superior car topper... ;)

Jocelyn said...

Maybe they can't make it to bow because car tops might bow different amounts.

IandS said...

Good for you for standing your ground.
I am really enjoying reading your vacation posts and had planned to comment at the end but they just keep going :) The pictures are so fun too.
Did J tell you we are planning a visit? I'm excited to see you all.