Thursday, March 12, 2009

Don't Laugh at Me

A month or so ago, Ephant lost her voice from the cold she had.  It was the same cold that sent Loofa to the ER for croup.  I caught that cold, but my voice was fine.  Now I have a new cold and this time I did lose my voice.  I sure hope no one calls me today.  I've been mostly whispering so Loofa automatically does it too when he talks to me.  I keep having to tell him that he doesn't have to whisper too.

It's been pretty cold here, but yesterday the sun really started warming up during the day.  The kids are excited to start playing at the park again.  We usually get shopping done during the 3 hour block of gymnastics on Wednesday, but it'll be nice to run over the park during that time instead.  Especially if Loofa doesn't forget his shoes...  I had to carry him and Fefe into each store yesterday.

Speaking of stores.  I've been rereading one of my favorite series "The Wheel of Time" in preparation for the release of the final book in the fall.  I'm missing the last book and the prequel.  I ran into the Dollar store yesterday for a gift bag and when I passed the book section I was bowled over when I saw they had both those books, hardcover and brand new.  I couldn't believe I only paid a dollar for them.  To be honest, I couldn't remember if I had the last book or not at the time, but I figured $1 was worth getting it even if I did have it.

Next week I'm throwing a baby shower for a friend.  If any of you have a game you can recommend please let me know.  I'm sure I could find something good on the internet, but I'd love to hear your ideas.

7 comments:

IandS said...

I have to admit that I hate babyshower games (sorry). In my opinion, the food is the most important thing:)

Maren Hansen said...

Two I like: put the little tiny golden safety pins in a bowl with dry rice. You wouldn't BELIEVE how hard this one is to do. But it's a fun challenge. You can hide a whole box of pins in a medium size bowl of rice... The other one I love is the one where you melt the candy bars in the disposable diapers (microwave) and people have to guess what kind they were... :) My kids always whisper to me when I lose my voice and it drives me crazy... :)

Kim-the-girl said...

Is the shower for anyone I know? I feel so out of the loop... you should call me in all your spare time... :D I'm trying to remember some fun games, but they're not coming to me. I'll try to get back to you. But really, the food definitely trumps games (imo).

Happy Camper said...

I'm not a huge fan of baby shower games, either, but I like to ask the mommy and daddy to be questions about their childhood, and then have people guess if it was mommy or daddy each statement is describing. I asked them things like favorite movie, cartoon, etc, when they were little. I made sure to ask some obscure questions that family members might know. (first crush? first memory?) I like those kind of activities because I am actually interested in learning about the parents. I'm not interested in smelling baby poo (sorry Maren :) )

Happy Camper said...

I meant to say that family members might NOT know....

Cam said...

Hi Stephanie- I have a handout where you try to match the celebrity with what they named their baby. There are some crazy names. For example, Bob Geldof (musician) has kids named: Fifi Trixibelle, Peaches and Pixie. I also have a "baby" version of madgab. (example: Aim Others Hindu Wish Hen~ A mother's intuition). I also have a cd with a clip from 25 different songs that have the word baby in them (like 5 seconds of each song)- and you get points for naming the artist or song. These games have been used at other showers, so I'm not sure if you would want to use them, I'm not sure how many of the people you'd be inviting have already played them.
I too am not a big fan of games, though, unless I don't know a lot of people at the shower- then it's a good icebreaker. Otherwise, I'd prefer to visit with friends.

Tim and Angie said...

I like games, anytime. I like one where you write down a line from a nursery rhymn (ok I can't spell) and you have to remember the title. Some are really hard to remember! Sorry you're not feeling well. At least spring is well on it's way!!!