Monday, November 8, 2010

Buddy the Foster Dog

The end of September we discovered a little dog hanging around our backyard. He loved the kids, but seemed a little scared of me. We decided to catch him so I made up a temporary leash out of a high chair strap and caribiner clip. I was pretty proud of that contraption. We went and knocked on a few doors to see if anyone was missing a dog, but didn't have any luck. The kids were loving playing with him. My neighbors had a spare kennel in their garage so we stuck him in that overnight with a little food.


I posted his info the next morning and got him scanned at the vet to see if he had a chip. Luckily he did, but that turned into a dead end. What I thought would be just an overnighter turned into 3 days. On the second day I sent an email out to the ward to see if anyone wanted to take him with the possibility that someone would claim him eventually. I was amazed how many people were interested.

He was a very good dog. A little jumpy, but hardly ever barked. He did turn out to be coated in fleas. Yuck. I think he was well trained, but probably abandoned. No one ever ended up claiming him and he is now happily living with another family. One lady did drive all the way out here from East Portland because she was missing her chihuahua mix, but it wasn't her dog. She was pretty broken up because that dog was like a kid to her I did like the dog quite a bit. After the initial night he decided he loved me and kept trying to break into the house to find me. The kids were really wanting to keep him, but I just didn't think Glen would appreciate that. We didn't see him the whole time we were fostering the dog. Luckily the kids still get to see him here and there and he seems to remember us.

No comments: