Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Strike on My Habits

Four years ago if you asked me how much tv I watched, my answer would have been not much. Then came 24 and Lost. I started watching both after their first seasons and was instantly hooked. Since then I've added quite a few shows to my repertoire: Heroes, Journeyman, House, Bionic Woman, Life, The Office and Moonlight. Some are not so great, ie Bionic Woman, but it is something to look forward to after a long day. Plus the convenience of a DVR makes it all the more enjoyable.

Last night I figured out what role the writer's strike is going to play in my life. Unless they resolve talks soon my shows will dry up within a couple of weeks. The Office is already on reruns. Talk shows were the first to be affected which is why it took me awhile to catch on. 24 and Lost will probably have to delay their seasons because of the strike.

Which leads me to how I feel about all this. My first reaction was anger at these selfish writers. My second reaction was how selfish am I? These are just tv shows, but for the writers it is a matter of just compensation. I'm not a huge fan of unions, but I do understand that is the system they have to work with. Hopefully the producers will cave soon, particularly as most people polled are rooting for the writers.

1 comment:

Cam said...

I only recently found out about the strike, cause I've actually not been watching much tv, so I've been out of the loop. Yes, do what must be done for "The Office" to live on!