Monday, August 13, 2012

Up and Away Over Mt St Helens

When my best geology bud from college mentioned they were up in the Pacific Northwest I thought it'd be fun to meet them up at Mt St Helens.  It's one of our favorite places to drive up to and I sure love Keryn and her family.  Little did I expect Keryn to invite me to join her on her helicopter tour of the volcano.

We headed up a couple hours after church on the 5th to meet them at the helicopter site.  I was a little nervous, but not terribly so.  Flying freaks me out a bit right now, but mostly because I'm scared half to death of leaving my children motherless.  The helicopter was so smooth, it shocked me.  It even took me a second to realize we were off the ground.  I'm a definite fan now.

It was so cool to see inside the crater, to see the fumaroles up close and just see how the devastation spread out from the eruption.  We spent a lot of time in geology talking about the miniscule things, ie crystal structure, that underly the big events, but nothing quite compares to the cataclysms of volcanoes and earthquakes!

After the helicopter ride we drove up the road to another visitor's center with an awesome playground and had a picnic.  What a great day!  I'm so glad we can see them whenever we visit Utah.  Thanks again, Keryn!


Keryn was so excited!



The kids were sad to see us go.


Inside the crater.


The path of destruction.


Some fumaroles.


A hot tub right in the crater.  Looks nice and warm.


That's not shoreline, those are all the dead trees in Spirit Lake.


Mt St Helens in all its glory.


The fams.


No, that picture is not blurry, the trees are.  It was driving Keryn and Brad crazy and then drove us crazy when they pointed it out :)

4 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

That would be quite an adventure for anyone, but for someone who has actually studied and understands all that they're seeing it must have been spectacular! That's awesome.

Keryn said...

I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to have you there with me. It made an awesome adventure even better. And almost as fun was the picnic after. I love your kids, especially Elle! She is a character and so fun. And Bradley and I never have any problem just chatting with you and Jacob. We love you tons. (P.S. I love your picture of the blurry trees. Craziness!)

Jocelyn said...

I am so jealous! Looks like it was a blast!

Maren Hansen said...

Hi, Keryn! That looks like it was fun! I'd love to do a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon one of these days. Glad you got pix, Pookie. Wonder when it will erupt next?