Sunday, August 12, 2012

Trek, Day 3, AKA Hump Day

I was able to take my time getting ready on the 3rd morning because I wasn't trekking anymore.  Elle was sad, but I was looking forward to a bit more of Zion.  This does not mean I'm not tough!  I'm plenty tough, I could have done two weeks of this :)  I just like my comforts too. Not that Zion was that much more comfortable.  Apparently there were a plethora of ticks down there.  Luckily I never saw one.

Once the trekkers took off, we took all the supplies back to base camp and the next nights camping spot.  There was a lot happening behind the scenes that the kids didn't see.  Initially we tried to keep the vehicles out of sight, but with all the dehydrations and such, it wasn't worth it.  I rode with Uncle Robert up to the first cache and then we took a load to the campsite.  The kids had a visit from "Ephraim Hanks" at that first stopping pointing.  I didn't listen, but it got rave reviews.  A boy also road up on a horse and delivered some mail (Pony Express).


That afternoon I helped the kitchen staff get dinner and breakfast for the next day all organized.  I was supposed to help out with the hair washing station up with the trekkers, but plead out of it.  Yes, I'm lazy sometimes.   Elle had a small bout of dehydration again that night, but she came out of it pretty quickly.  By this point I believed her that she was drinking enough.  The vast majority of kids that had problems were the younger, smaller ones.  Their little bodies just couldn't handle the heat.  Tuesday and Wed weren't quite as bad heat wise and the fact that they stopped before the worst of the heat did help a ton.

There were a lot more mosquitoes down at Base Camp, but it was lovely to pitch my tent in grass.  I got bit on my booty twice, right through my pants!  One of my friends had an area fogger that at least kept them down around my tent.  I also had my hair washed with vinegar and baking soda (what they used at the aforementioned hair washing station).  It was fabulous to have clean hair, even if the rest of my body was disgusting.  I brought along some wet wipes to wipe down with, but they barely put a chink in it.  I think I got to bed around 10 or 11 that night.  I had cell phone reception most everywhere I went so I was able to stay in contact with Jacob all week.  I sure missed the other kids.  Jacob took the week off from work to stay home with the munchkins.  He texted this picture and it sure made me crave some civilization.




No comments: