Sunday, August 15, 2010

We Love Most Animals

We've had quite the rollercoaster with domesticated animals the last month. Ephant and Loofa are terrified of dogs in a fairly irrational way. Reassuring them that your dog is friendly does not help. At our pioneer day picnic the kids were introduced to my sister's latest dog. Keljsie is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She's pretty old. They rescued her from a breeder that didn't treat her very well. She is the perfect dog. She doesn't bark, jump or slobber. She's about as sweet a thing as you can get. I'm not a dog person, but I could imagine myself owning a dog like her. Ephant fell in love with her. It really opened up a portal for her to feel more comfortable with dogs. I might have to call her a therapy dog.


Brother B fell in love with their kitten, Beckham. Since we got back from vacation he has suddenly decided he loves our cats. He spends most of the day outside petting them and following them around. I had wondered if any of the kids would ever show interest in the cats.

The cat whisperer.

The sad/happy news is that I was finally able to catch the two strays eating our food and take them to the shelter. They were feral so I'm almost certain they were put to sleep (the sad part). I was really worried that I was going to regret the decision to take them to the shelter, but after praying about it I felt okay.

2 comments:

IandS said...

That really is a pretty dog (and I'm not an animal person AT ALL).
I can't believe how many cats you have to catch and take in...

Maren Hansen said...

I think you did the right thing. Feral cats live lives that are full of suffering and constant fear. You also saved hundreds of posterity upon posterity from being born through them...