Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Finale

We spent a couple days in Bountiful. J's parents were awesome to watch the kids the whole time we were in the hospital. Their day was probably just as exhausting :) Thursday I slept in a bit, but I didn't sleep well that night so I was still pretty tired. Fefe is not the easiest child to sleep with especially when her arm is broken. She slept pretty well, she just cried out a couple times.

J's parents took us to the Clark Planetarium. We checked out the exhibits for a short time and then went and saw an Imax show. It was about the oceans. I was a little disappointed in it because there was not enough variety of fish. I think a 1/3 of it was spent on cuddle fish. Plus the usual global warming spiels. Trying to make me feel bad about seals that look cute underwater, but would just as soon bite your face off.



After the planetarium we introduced J's parents to the delights of riding Trax to get to Temple Square. Grandma had given the kids a whole load of pennies to throw in the reflecting pool. I was pretty nervous about Fefe falling in and getting her splint wet. It was a hot day so we didn't last too long. I was heartily tired of sweating by this point in our trip. We stopped by Arctic Circle on the way back so the kids could get some ice cream cones. Fefe fell asleep so I stayed in the car with her while everyone went inside. It was an opportune time for me to schedule her cast appt back in Oregon. She had to wear the splint for one week while the swelling went down and then get it casted.

That evening we watched the Princess and the Frog while Grandma put a new backing on Fefe's blanket and did a general tuneup. Fefe had a substitute piece of fabric to cuddle with that matched her blankie so she didn't get upset while it was being worked on. That child is way too attached. The kids had a really good time hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa. I sure like J's parents too.


Friday morning we loaded up for the last time to head home. I had initially planned on stopping halfway, but was anxious to get home. I had a good book to listen to and plenty of energy. The kids were disappointed because they were hoping to swim in another hotel pool, but I told them too bad. We made really good time and got home about 8:30 that night. I was glad to see the cats survived another long trip and that the house hadn't burned down. I was particularly grateful to sleep in my own bed again. All in all it turned out to be a really good trip. We took it easy, but still did enough to keep the kids entertained. Family is so important and I want my kids to feel like they have good relationships with all their close relatives.

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

I couldn't agree more about family. I miss mine. Texas is too far! Sounds like a great trip and how great to have it so well documented.

IandS said...

You are so brave to do that by yourself and I'm so surprised with how positive your posts are with all the drama that happened. Go you!!! :)
We miss you guys so much...R and M were looking at the pictures with me and have been asking when we are going to visit you...we're thinking next summer sounds good :)

Maren Hansen said...

You're awesome. I'm so glad you have great in-laws too.

How come it's always the hottest day of the year when we go to Temple Square? Even if it's June, it happens to be record-breaking temperatures... It must be a sign!