Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I Give Up


Elder Eyring gave me enough of a guilt trip this weekend that I decided I need some type of journal. Since I sit at the computer a million hours a day already I might as well do something useful.


So, here is our life....


E is doing really well in school and is just as talkative as ever. I was reading a book the other day while the kids were playing outside. She stood there talking to me for 1/2 hour. I was barely responding to her, but that didn't put her off. I finally felt bad enough that I put my book down. Most of what she talks about involves school. Her class is pretty bad and apparently they get in trouble a lot. They have to lay there heads on their desks for one of the punishments. She definitely inherited my sensitivity to conflict so it is pretty hard on her. She said it makes her feel pretty sad when the class gets in trouble. She is really excelling academically. I'll have more specifics after PT conferences tonight, but apparently she is one of two kids that gets to spend 20 minutes in the library everyday while the other kids get extra help.


B is adjusting to school so much better than we had hoped for. It helps that he has a really amazing teacher. I think Ms. O is one of the best teachers at the school. It is great that he has a good start. He had one of the worst bike crashes I've seen last week. I thought he had just scraped his hands and knees, but then I looked at his face. The poor boy had a scrape all the way across his right check and an enormous bruise across his cheek and upper lip. His face was pretty swollen that night. He was so traumatized that he fell asleep on the couch. It is amazing how fast he got over it though. The next day he was back to riding his bike. Thank heaven for bike helmets.


L is also doing some adjusting to his new little sister. He watches way too much tv, but I really don't care right now. He especially loves Dora. He could probably watch that all day long. He used to love Wonder Pets so we were going to have the kids dress up as Wonder Pets for Halloween. Now that he doesn't care, E and B will be Superman and Supergirl and I'll have L wear B's old Batman costume. I figure he doesn't really care what he is so I can dress him however I want.


P is doing great. She's definitely our best baby yet. She loves eating and sleeps great and best of all doesn't have reflux. She's been smiling for a few weeks now, but has been getting more interactive the last few days. I especially love it when she coos. None of the other three cooed at this age. J has been doing her night feeding most nights so I can get a full nights rest. Since the rain has started we let the kids play in the garage to get their energy out. They can be loud and crazy out there instead of inside. L particularly likes to ride his bike around and listen to music.


I have a new favorite CD. There was a song on the premiere of Moonlight that I really liked so I figured out where it came from. It is on the CD Fallen by a group called Evanescence. It is nice to discover a new group to listen to. It has been awhile since I've bought any music. J has been listening to a ton of music since he got his Ipod for his birthday so he's been buying more music lately. That Ipod is pretty cool. I might buy a Shuffle for myself for when I start jogging again.


I've been doing a ton of reading, it helps time to pass since we are stuck at home so much. Here are some of my favorites lately: Empire (Orson Scott Card), Passage (Connie Willis), Abhorsen trilogy (Garth Nix), and The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini).

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

I'm so glad you guys are doing so well. It was great to talk to you today! About the books, did I tell you about Abhorsen? I read those recently too and by the end I really enjoyed them, but they took a long time for me to get into. I'll have to check out the others, thanks for the recommendations, keep 'em coming. :)

Maren Hansen said...

You probably already know this, but once a helmet has been through a crash, you have to chuck it and get a new one. I can't believe that boy. He reminds me more and more of Josh all the time.

Man, Elle's school sounds pretty bad. I looked it up on greatschools.net and it got a 4 out of 10. Sounds like you guys need to move since you've put so much work into your house. Isn't it proverbial that if you've put a lot of work into a house, you don't ever get to enjoy it? Oh, I checked your upper elementary and it's a 3, and your middle school is a 2, but hey, the high school is an 8! :)
That video of Phephe was great--I love it when they are like that. We have some awesome footage of our kids like that too. But the best part was Elle singing in the background... :)

Keryn said...

Hey, Stephanie! I'm really glad that you have a blog, now. It's good to hear about your family.

We were talking about you at the Alumni Breakfast a couple of weeks ago at BYU. Marge and Kris and Doc Morris all say "hi".

Bradley and I were going through some old boxes of his, and we ran across a bunch of pictures from your freshman ward. Seems like forever ago, but on the other hand, it seems like almost yesterday.