Monday, October 29, 2012

October House Update

Apparently I have been remiss in my house updates.  I'll admit that I haven't had a huge drive to put up pictures now that the framing is done.  They're about 1/2 way done with the siding now, so I should get those pictures up in another week or two.  Jacob and I have been busy working on the low voltage wiring and just finished that last Saturday.  It took us about 3 weeks.  We are also working on the regular electric wiring, retaining wall, etc.  Actually, I should say Jacob has been doing most of that.  I got a little burned out on low voltage wiring so I've been taking a break.  The low voltage was huge.  I think we put in a total of 36 or so cat 5e ports and 12 coax ports.  We've also put in an intercom system that has 7 stations.  Luckily that was just more cat cable. I've gotten pretty good at wiring that stuff.  If there is one thing I learned from all the wiring, it makes a huge difference in installation to buy the good cable. I tried using some coaxial cable from Lowes and it was awful!  The Belden cable I ordered online was well worth the cost.  I was able to find some good deals on it so it was only about twice as much as the cheap stuff.  Since we did the wiring ourselves we saved on the labor costs on that line item too.


The giant trench for the utlities.  I remember when I was 4 thinking trenches like this went all the way to the center of the earth.


This mess is the framing for the tower.  It really was a mess, but they figured it out well enough.


If you ever have some quality time to spend with me, ask me about the tower truss.


Finished framing, we have a house!



Working on the roof.  We were so utterly grateful for the good weather we had this fall.


The finished roof.  Pretty.  The last of the windows were finally put in today.


This shows the shear amount of cables we put in.  It all comes to a home run in the basement.


I think we put in over 1200 feet of cat 5e and about 600 feet of coaxial cable.  In hindsight I wish we had installed it with pvc so it would be easy to pull and replace later, but that would have been a huge jump in complexity.


We were glad to get the wrap on with all the rain coming now.




You'll see later why Jacob wants the close soffits.  I do like the finished look of it.

3 comments:

Keryn said...

It looks marvelous!

As I write, Bradley is at the house pulling the low-voltage wiring. We're putting in only 850 feet of cat 5 and only 200 feet of coaxial--yay for having only two stories! We have 22 ethernet ports and 5 coax ports, so a lot less than you guys!

When do you think you'll be in? I'm so excited for you!

IandS said...

AHHHHHH! That is SO exciting! :)

Kim-the-girl said...

It looks so great!!! I'm excited for you guys!