Monday, September 29, 2008

I hate to brag

but my child is pickier than yours.  Seriously though we have quite the eating issues with Brother B.  It is definitely compounded by the fact he was an amazing eater as a baby/toddler even after all his swallowing issues.  

Since he started 1st grade, this is the first year he is eating lunch at school.  We decided to make him buy lunches hoping that he would learn to try new things.  The first couple of days went great because they had chicken nuggets.  Since then he has refused to eat anything at least twice a week.  

I got a call from his teacher last Thursday about it.  She said "I just found out Brigham hasn't been eating anything for lunch several times a week and I'm very concerned about it."  It was a tad annoying how many times she said "I'm very concerned.".  I told her that we were fully aware of him not eating, but it still took about 10 minutes to get off the phone with her.  At this point I was a tad worried that I was going to get CPS called on me even though all the advice I've ever read about picky eaters says it is okay for them to skip meals here and there.  I decided to hedge my bets and call the pediatrician.  They said it was okay for him to miss lunch as long as he ate a small snack.  

All of this started to wear on me though and I began to wonder if this was just turning into a contest of who was more stubborn, me or Brother B.  Turns out I broke first. I packed him a lunch today.  It is certainly not the end of the world, although Ephant isn't happy that she still has to buy lunch.  I told her that when Brother B hits 3rd grade he'll have to buy lunch again too.

Here is what Brother B eats if you want a sense of how picky he is:

Peanut butter sandwich
Fast food cheeseburgers
Hot dog (no bun so far)
Pizza
Chicken nuggets
Plain chicken
Grilled cheese
Cheese crisp
Kraft macaroni and cheese
bean dip
Pancakes
Bacon
Waffles
French toast
Toast
Cereal
Fruit snacks
Crackers
Scrambled eggs
chocolate chip granola bars

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Wow picky boy. That is annoying about the teacher. At my school, if the kid doesn't eat, it's his choice. It's presented and the kid chooses. I don't think CPS would call. The teacher doesn't have a valid reason to call them unless you are not giving him any lunch at all.

Kim-the-girl said...

You know, its probably not related, but it COULD be food allergies cause his aversion. Bryant is by far my most picky eater and of course, we now know its because those foods often make him feel like crap. Just a thought. Good luck!

Maren Hansen said...

I think Brother B is allergic to everything except refined sugar...