Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year

I hope that everyone has had a wonderful holiday season. My hopes for a Christmas letter have gone down the tube, but I thought I'd put up a quick blurb here.

We started out the year with a pretty awesome snow storm. The kids were able to go sledding for the first time ever, but we forgot to make snow cream.

J and I both received new church callings at the beginning of the year. J was called to be the 11 year old scout leader and was disappointed to leave primary chorister behind. I was given the calling of ward historian. I'm the first one for this ward so it has been interesting figuring out what I want to do with it. I also still had the relief society publicity calling. In November they added on ward newsletter, so I have 3 callings. They all dovetail perfectly and I love doing them.

I started out the year pregnant, but didn't tell anyone till February. I had been running for about six months before that, but gave it up pretty quickly. Sleep seemed so much more important suddenly. I was also the PTO president at E's school. That kept me pretty busy since we had few members and a lot of framework still to put in place. My crowning achievement was establishing 501c(3) status. That allows an organization to receive tax free contributions.

The end of March, not long after E turned 7, I was put on bedrest due to a subchorionic hematoma. This continued for two months. I did get used to sitting around all day, but it was very hard to let go of certain things. There were so many times in the past when I wondered how women with multiple children handled bedrest. I learned it is possible, but not easy. We certainly could not have done it without all the help we received.

In April we had the happy news that we were having another girl. I'd been wanting another girl for several years so I went a tad overboard on the pink theme. P's carseat is pink and the blankets I use with it are also pink. Hard to believe I used to hate pink so much.

In May B graduated from preschool. He had a bit of a traumatic spring and missed about a month of preschool, but did very well. We worried a bit about how well he would do since he is not as outgoing as E. In April he came down with a kidney infection. It took his pediatrician about a month to figure out what it was. Since I was still on bedrest then we both spent alot of time laying on the couch together. It made me very sad just to look at him. He lost so much weight, barely ate and didn't smile. When we finally got some antibiotics for him it was such a relief to see him smiling and eating again. We now have a different pediatrician.

The beginning of June I was finally released from bedrest. I was so happy to be able to pick up L again, drive the kids to school, go shopping and clean my house.

July was our big trip to Utah. We spent a few days with my family and a few days with J's parents since they are now living in Bountiful. The kid's favorite part of the trip was the jumping water park at the Gateway center. J's parents gave us a couch and piano and my parents gave us a twin bed frame so we pulled a Uhaul trailer on the way back. There is a sign on the back that says not to drive faster than 45mph. Ha! That's ridiculous.

P was born a few days before her due date on August 25th. I went to the local hospital this time and was very happy with my choice. I was a little nervous because it is a much smaller hospital, but it all went smoothly. I'm starting to feel like an old pro. The other three love their new little sister. She has been a wonderful addition to our family and we feel very blessed. Now if we could just figure out a medical application for all her drool we'll be set for life.

E and B started school in September. B in Kindergarten and E in 2nd grade. B has really loved his class. E not so much, but she finds plenty to love anyway. Both of them absolutely love learning and are constantly pushing us to teach them more at home. J made them addition and multiplication flash cards to practice. They have also started playing wall ball a ton. It is the big thing at school right now so they play it in the garage constantly. If the weather is nice then they do it at the park.

P was blessed in October and B turned 6. Since it was an even age he was able to have a friend b-day party this year. He chose the bowling alley for his party. He was very excited to have Grandma C and Alex there as well.

J has been continuing to update and improve the house. In July we had it resided and in September it was painted. J bought a planer and jointer in November so he can reface the bathroom cabinets. He was considering redoing the kitchen, but since I told him I want to move in 2-3 years he decided that is too big of a project.

We had a nice quiet Christmas at the home this year. It was a relief not to have to drive in bad weather and haul around Christmas and winter gear. E and B are pretty set on the fact that Santa is not real, but that did not prevent them from enjoying their Christmas presents. The biggest hit is the Nintendo DS with Super Mario brothers. We've all enjoyed playing on it. I don't think E and B have played wall ball since Christmas.

L's big achievement for the end of the year is potty training. We had to coax him into it, but he's taken to it very quickly. I think it really helps having older siblings to imitate. He makes us laugh constantly with his silly way of talking. I never thought I could laugh so much at someone calling me stupid mama. He is so small and yet so big at the same time.

It's late at night and I'm sure I've forgotten something. Here's hoping 2008 is slightly less eventful in certain areas.

3 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

That was great! It made me feel like I was there for most of the year with you all (I guess I was, but it sure seems like I've been gone a lot longer). Thanks for the update, it seems like you're the only one updating their blog lately :)

Maren Hansen said...

Congrats on L. But prepare yourself for accidents. I get them going well and then get lax about reminding them and they slip, and then I have to beat it into them again... Shrimp is finally to the point that she really doesn't have any more accidents and just goes when she needs to without reminding. Phew... Knock on wood...

RBent said...

What a year, and look at you, you didn't do a Christmas newsletter, but it's all right here and you saved on postage. : )

I always wonder what next year will bring.