Thursday, December 17, 2009

Did you ever?

I was just thinking today as I was eating my Mac and Cheese about all the times I've eaten something common like this and it tasted so GOOD.

When I was about 5 I had some kraft mac and cheese at a friends house (Tischlers in MI) and it was so delicious. Every now and then I wish I could replicate that.

When I was 14 I went on a Wilderness Trek for our stake youth program. After a week of hiking and subpar/insufficient food, they had chili dogs and oreos waiting for us at the end. Chili dogs had never tasted so good. They still hold a special place in my heart because of that.

One month after getting married, I caught mono (go figure). J had already had it several years before so he was nice and immune. It went around the Women's department at the BYU bookstore like crazy (I loved that place!). About 2 weeks later I finally started getting my appetite back. We were in Park City for my grandparent's 50th anniversary. My dad took us to a buffet that evening that had prime rib. I had never tried prime rib before. I had heard it was good, but not that good!

I wish food always tasted as good as it did in these situations. One key component is how hungry I was. Maybe I should try starving myself more often. I'd love to hear about your favorite "common" food times.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Or have gum graft surgery. The only thing I cannot have (because it can't be cut into itty-bitty pieces and still taste good) is a cheeseburger. It's the only thing I really really want and it's the only thing I really really can't have. It is a great weight loss program though, I have no desire whatsoever to eat, because it is uncomfortable.

Maren Hansen said...

I am so with you after Wilderness Trek--those chili dogs and chili in Frito bags were the BEST ever. Hungry is a factor for me too. Esp when preggo or nursing. Fast Sundays, EVERYTHING tastes good. Sometimes I have the opposite thing: I'm sick of eating and there is nothing in the whole world that would be exciting for me to eat. Weird huh?

I always thought you got mono from Jacob. Was that not true and did you get it from someone in Women's Dept?

Jacob J said...

My theory is that she got mono at her bachelorette party.

Tim and Angie said...

I agree with the wilderness trek one. I hate hot dogs, but those were good. Also, after I have a baby my hubby brings me McD's breakfast burritos because I haven't been able to eat much for 9 months and I LOVE those things! I really love mac and cheese and spaghettio's too. Mmmm, now I'm hungry.