Wednesday, May 18, 2011

We Love Our School

Most of you have probably heard that our superintendent wants to close the boy's elementary school next year. Out of a 7.5 million dollar budget gap it will save them 380,000. It's tough what they are trying to do, but Gales Creek is such an excellent school that it seems a shame to do so. Parents are still fighting it pretty hard and the final nail isn't in the coffin yet. The good news is that they will let us attend the other good school in our district next year if GC isn't open. Brother B is very sad. I had initially told them I would homeschool next year instead of sending them back to Fern Hill. Brother B really liked the sounds of that. I had to tell him tough luck since Dilley is an option. He hates having to make new friends all over again, but at least he'll have friends there from GC. He adjusted so quickly to GC anyways, I have a feeling he'll adjust just as fast at Dilley. Loofa pretty much doesn't care. One week he hates school, the next week he says he loves it.

Ephant just finished her first science fair project. I'll put pictures of it up once I get them. I feel like I'm back in school with how many projects I'm having to help on. One of the other cuts for next year is the strings program. I'm going to have to get Ephant private lessons as a result. In some ways I'm glad the district is being forced to do with less. I just wish they were a little wiser with their cuts. Some of their priorities are fairly skewed.

Random picture from my last girl's night out:

Krispy Kreme is still the yummiest.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I agree about the Krispy Kreme! Personally not a big fan of Voodoo. Btw- so sorry to hear about Gales Creek. I know how much your kids loved it there!

IandS said...

R and M love school one week and hate it the next - our kids must be the same age or something ;)

Jocelyn said...

That's sad, I really hope they are able to keep your school open next year. Poor kids, with having to move around so much.

Definitely love some Krispy Kreme!

Maren Hansen said...

how's that diet coming?... ;)